Thursday, July 16, 2015

Lies & Triggers & Bragging - Oh, My!

Please know that with this post, it is not my intention to call anyone out, hurt anyone's feelings, or critique anyone's blog. This is just something I do (or rather don't do) for me, and I wanted to get it off my chest.

There aren't really any numbers here on She's Going the Distance.

Running success is measured numerically - like any sport, really - and primarily with speed. The winner of any race has his or her net time noted, world records require the fastest time, and some races hold speed-related entrance criteria.

Then there's weekly mileage (number), races completed (number), years running (number)... you see my point.

I've noted some distances during my recent return to running from injury, and my Instagram has some Garmin/RunKeeper pics on it (but that one's going to stop).

"And why?" you ask. Comparison. And mostly comparison of myself to myself.

There are many times I want to post my race PRs and my training run stats. I honestly sometimes feel that if I had those numbers documented here, I'd be more respected as a runner and a blogger. I occasionally want to join you who have your personal bests written down the side of your home pages; I want to brag about numeric accomplishments of which I'm proud.

Then I'll have a bad (read: slow, read: THIS IS INJURY-IN-THE-MAKING THINKING) run and be thankful I don't because I wouldn't want to post it. But isn't that a lie of omission? Aren't bad (cough-slow) runs just as important as the good ones and deserved to be included? Runs have feelings, too.

Please know: I don't think being a fast runner is the one and only way to be a good runner... not one bit. This is my own being hard on myself stupid thinking. "Slow" and "fast" are so relative to each, they aren't catch-all words. Again, this is MK's voice to MK.

Also I'll see someone else discuss a faster run or a higher mileage week, and I'll be triggered to compare. I'll sometimes feel lesser and unworthy - and it's no one's doing but my own.

So I keep speeds off my blog. I'll most likely keep talking (briefly) about distances (I mean, I'm "going" it, aren't I?), but I don't want to include times.

Remember this feeling I talked about? That's how I want to differentiate a "good run" from a "bad run." As mentioned, only caring about speed got me hurt and set me out of the game for months. In an effort to remove this unrealistic importance, I'm attempting to refrain from making it an aspect on my blog. The time it takes to run a mile shouldn't determine if you had fun during that mile.

If you post your times, your goals, your bests, I'm so proud of you! I applaud your confidence and your success. I just don't think it's a good choice for me.

SORRY FOR THE LACK OF PICTURES! ;)

6 comments:

  1. I can absolutely relate to this. While I post milage and paces... I often times will finish a run and be like eesh that wasn't my best... I wish I didn't have to share this. And I don't have to, but at the same time, I like keeping it real and publicize confidence that comes with "not always being your best, fastest self". I can totally understand how being swept up in comparison and the numbers game can lead to injury. I hope you're enjoying your vacation!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your mindset about "keeping it real!" Good point :) And I'm having so much fun - thank youuu!

      Delete
  2. I completely understand your point of view. While I agree with it, for me it's motivation to post those numbers. I started my blog because I never felt motivated to actually stick to a training plan and just slacked off basically. By putting it out there and (in my mind) being held accountable by readers, it forces me out the door when I want to stay in. It also motivates me on my run to keep going or go faster (if it's not an easy run of course). I know that doesn't work for everyone, but that's what keeps me on my training plan and will hopefully lead me to a PR soon! I know I'm a lot slower than most bloggers out here which I was embarrassed about before, but I got over that quickly!

    (hopefully all that made sense! In a nutshell, I respect your opinion but politely disagree for myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get where you're coming from! Definitely holds you accountable to get in a run and do your best :)

      Delete
  3. I completely understand and respect your view on this. I normally don't post too much about my running unless I'm doing a race and I'll post my times for two reasons A. So I have a physical record to look back on and see what my time was B. I'm such a slow runner that I hardly feel like I'm bragging when I post my times haha. In fact, many times, I'm like "I should probably not be admitting this on the internet, but you know what it takes all types of people."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! I keep my times in a separate Excel file to look back on - but I still compare with that too so maybe I shouldn't bahaha.

      Delete