Thursday, June 4, 2015

Kitchen Triumphs

The day I had my woe-is-me moment, I opened one of the coolest books ever and read the following:

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen." - 1 Peter 5:10-11

I needed that.

Anywho. Onto the kitchen!

Many of you have been posting about your June goals, and it reminded me that I had a summer goal myself regarding the poaching of pre-birds.



Well, I did it!

I'll spare you the details, considering you all probably know how this is done. I'm a late bloomer.


The stringy whites separated themselves... beginner's luck?

I let the egg sit for about three and a half minutes before scooping it out.

See!? It's own separation. Such a smart egg.

And the finished product:

Sandwich thin, spinach, and of course, Sriracha.

And another culinary concoction - black bean burgers! Doing my best on this pescetarian thing!

Ingredients:
1 can of black beans
1 egg
A sufficient amount of crackers (I used 34 baby saltines)
Garlic powder
NOT PICTURED: Tabasco 



Pulse the crackers in a food processor or blender, and then separately pulse the beans until gooey (but not like a sauce). Combine the crackers, beans, egg, garlic powder, and Tabasco, and mix.

Mmmm. Yum.

Form into patties! Mine made three. They were also very slimy and slippery (probably could have used more crackers, but they turned out amazing, so I'm not complaining).



I let these puppies go for about three minutes on each side, then I stood them up to get around the edges.

Nom nom nom.

I prefer salads to sandwiches, so a salad it was!



The insides were still soft, but it held together nicely. I was very pleased.

What's your favorite thing to cook?

4 comments:

  1. I'm seriously impressed by your poached egg skills. Every time I try to do an over-easy egg it is an epic fail. Haha. So they usually end up being scrambled. My favorite dish to make is actually more fall/winter appropriate. It's a vegetarian butternut squash lasagna. So delicious and I can't wait to share on my blog... keep an eye out in like... 4 months haha. Have a fabulous Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I feel ya - my omelettes will never flip right, so they're usually scrambled! Looking forward to your lasagna!

      Delete
  2. My favorite thing to cook is red peas soup (Jamaican dish). I absolutely love to make it and love to eat (drink?) it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, have you written a post on it yet!? If not, send me the recipe! :)

      Delete