Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Distance, but Not the Running Kind

Even though I was am (let's not get pessimistic, MK) a long distance runner, the title of my blog has another meaning.

I've been in a long distance relationship for the majority of 2 years and 4 months.

And by "majority," I don't mean 51%. I mean I've been in a long distance relationship for 2 years of those 2 years and 4 months.

Us, right before those 2 years started. Now his beard is almost down to the same length as my hair in this picture. Can you say, "Duck Dynasty?"  

It started off as just a few hours apart. I moved to DC, he was in Virginia. Not bad, eh? Like basically the same thing. You ask people from Arlington where they're from, and they'll say DC. But he wasn't in Arlington... Okay, I digress.

Then he moved to Louisiana for a job. Longish flight, one hour time difference, we made it work... though not all the time.

Our hours are different. I wake up before the sun and sometimes even go to sleep before the sun. He was in New Orleans, so can you guess his hours?

Courtesy of DN Journal, here's a pic of Bourbon Street. Balconies close around 3am. Parties do not.

I despise talking on the phone (what a great trait to have while in an LDR!), so text/g-chat/email/Facebook are our prime modes of conversation.

Do you know how often texts can get misinterpreted? If I had a nickle for every time we got in I started a fight because I thought he was being sarcastic, I wouldn't have to pay for graduate school.

It was AWESOME to visit. I even ran a few races in LA! Unfortunately, we only saw each other about every other month, and it was killer.

Well, guess what!? He has moved again!

...to California. So like, actually across the country.

Crack open an end to a job, pour in a switch to graduate school, sprinkle your boyfriend moving even farther away into the mix, stir, and bake for an hour at 350 degrees. Serving size: one distraught MK.

I know that we'll still fight, and I know that we'll see each other less often. But then again, I'll be in school with holiday breaks and whatnot. It'll be interesting and hard, but we both know that it'll be worth it in the end.

Any LDR-ers?
Any advice?


No comments:

Post a Comment