Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Hook



It doesn't matter what I say,

So long as I sing with inflection

That makes you feel I'll convey

Some inner truth or vast reflection.

But I've said nothing so far,

And I can keep it up for as long as it takes.

And it don't matter who you are.

If I'm doing my job, then it's your resolve that breaks

Because the hook brings you back.

-"Hook," Blues Traveler

One of my favorite songs, and I felt like it was fitting for my first blog installment. 

For some reason - well, not for some reason, for the reason that I am who I am - I've been putting a lot of pressure on myself to come up with an awesome debut post; a hook, if you will. I want to come across funny, I want to come across witty, I want you to appreciate and agree with every single word I type.

Sounds a bit dictator-ish.

But I've read enough of the blog world to know that you won't always think I'm funny or witty, and you'll definitely not always agree with what I say. In fact, some of you will agree with so little that you'll leave comments telling me so.

And there lies the root of why it's taken me so long to actually create a blog myself and become part of this community that I know and love - insecurities.

A few months ago, I got rid of my Instagram because it wasn't making me feel very good. I'm a long distance runner, and I got hurt (that's a whole 'nother blog post comin' atcha soon...), and seeing the Insta-runners post their Garmin shots and split times made me feel, well, like shit.

I felt like an outcast, like I was kicked to the shunned curb of that golden sidewalk where I so longed to plod for miles and miles. I felt as if I was no longer a runner. 

That's when I lived vicariously through you all for a bit, reading up on your athletic adventures, and I wanted to become one of you, but insecurities held me back. Did I really have anything to say? What if my life is too boring? What if I said something wrong and upset someone? What if the comments are mean? What if I work out too much? What if I work out too little? What if someone thinks one of my healthy meals isn't healthy? What if, what if, what if...

*Side note: Someone is singing horribly on the balcony next to my apartment. It's really distracting when I'm trying to be all deep and stuff.

I wasn't sure if I had anything to add to this hashtag-fitness-life world. 

And then I thought about what a crap view that was and how wrong it is.

We all have something to add because we are all different. And that's the beauty of not thinking I'm funny or witty or agreeable. If that was the case all the time, we'd all be the same and would have no need for this community. We would have one blog to rule them all, one blog to find them... 

We all have different fitness paths and different training cycles. Sarah's chapter 7 of life shouldn't read the same as Jenny's. We have opinions, we all go through ups and downs, and we all choose to share what we choose to share.

So I'll ask you now...

What insecurities did you overcome with blogging?
What turned you to your blog?
DO YOU THINK I'M FUNNY AND WITTY!?

...yeah, don't answer that last one.

I get a ton (all) of my pictures from theBERRY.

No comments:

Post a Comment